Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Re-Evaluate Success

So today I was driving on the freeway jammin to my tunes just thinking about life and the different places it will take me. As I started to think about all that I wanted to do I began to think will I ever be able to do it all.  What about all my friends and family, what are they going to think... I mean most of them are on the fast track to be rich doctors, dentists, lawyers and who knows what.  Don't get me wrong, I am very happy for all of them and love them to death but i began to worry cause what if that is not what I want... And then, out of nowhere, I pass this white car that has painted on the back of it in big bright letters a phrase that stated, " RE-EVALUATE SUCCESS!"
When I saw this it hit me that success is really in the eye of the beholder.  We can't go through life comparing ourselves to others.  We all find ourselves in different situations in life.  Some may be getting married others may be working and others are going to school.  We make our own schedules and I think it is very important that we do things on OUR schedules and not compared to others.  What might be success to one may not be for another, but that is not what is important.  The only thing that matters is if you feel you are moving forward.  Some may be sprinting others walking and some may be crawling, nonetheless they are all moving forward.  many people think that if they don't get married before a certain age then your a failure, others think that if you don't finish school in four years you are a failure.  Well i got news for you, your not.  Make goals to give you a vision of what you want to achieve and strive everyday to reach them.  But don't get frustrated if your success doesn't come as quickly or as easily as others.  Just stick to and remember to move forward!!  Re-evaluate success and find out what YOUR success is.  If its getting up an hour early or if its running a marathon... Make it YOUR success and no one else's. :)

4 comments:

  1. Dallas,

    I agree! Your post reminds me of a saying by Barbara Smith, "Goals are stars to steer by, not sticks to beat yourself with."
    Forward movement is still progress!
    Love Ya, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO I completely agree! I know its a stretch but this makes me think of how Ammon went to King Lamoni and tend the sheep...ya follow?...so he gets there and the sheep get scattered, whatever. The kings men are all so scared, Ammon on the other hand is like...what the heck?! We can handle this. I can help/show you be successful as long as you change your perception of this reality that you are stuck in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dallas, I just found your blog and am glad I did, this is such great advice! Sounds like you are on the right track, no matter where you end up :)

    ReplyDelete